If you go to Chinese restaurants a lot then you could relate to this dish called Vegetable Lettuce Wraps as it is inspired by one of them, the lettuce wraps commonly served on two or three course duck meal.
- 1 1/2 cups bamboo shoots, chopped into small dice
- 2 carrots, chopped into small dice
- 1 bunch asparagus (roughly 15–20 stalks), thinly sliced
- 8 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in 1 cup water and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks spring onions, sliced
- 2 pcs red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large lettuce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- peanut oil
- Separate lettuce leaves individually and soak them in ice cold water.
- Heat up a wok, add peanut oil then sauté garlic, ginger paste and chilli (if using).
- Turn heat on high then add carrots, shiitake mushrooms and bamboo shoots and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and stir fry for 2 more minutes.
- Mix together 1/4 cup of water from rehydrated mushrooms, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Pour everything in the wok and continue to stir fry until sauce thickens and coats the vegetables well. Turn heat off and place in a plate.
- Place separated lettuce leaves on a separate plate, top each leaf with vegetable mixture. Garnish with spring onions, mandarin orange and chopped peanuts then serve.