Nanaimo bars is a no bake dessert bar made out of three layers, first of which is the base made out of biscuit or cookie crumbs. Second layer is a made out of custard vanilla icing while the final layer is made out of melted chocolates.
- 2 cups crumbed graham cracker
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed in room temperature
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed in room temperature
- 4 tbsp cream
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 120 grams dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- In a saucepan melt butter over low heat, once totally melted add sugar and cocoa powder.
- Remove from heat then gradual add the beaten egg while whisking the butter mixture.
- Place the saucepan back to low heat while whisking, cook until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat then add the graham crackers, desiccated coconut, walnuts and vanilla. Mix well then place in a 10 x 6 inch baking tray or equivalent. Press the crumbs firmly until they fuse together. Cover with cling wrap then place in the fridge for at least an hour to harden.
- Place butter in a mixing bowl, make sure it is soft but not melted. Using a hand mixer beat butter until it is smooth, creamy and whipped.
- Add the remaining Middle Layer ingredients and gently mix using a spatula until it resembles big crumbs.
- Now using the hand mixer beat mixture until smooth.
- Remove the baking tray with bottom layer from the fridge, spread filling over top of bottom layer then cover it with cling wrap, refrigerate for at least an hour.
- In a double boiler add butter, chocolate and cream. Melt mixture then turn heat off.
- Remove baking tray from the fridge then pour melted chocolate evenly on the top then cover again with cling wrap, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once ready cut into squares then serve.