Mango Chicken is a common dish found in India and several Asian countries. This dish is made out of coconut milk, chicken, mangoes and curry spices usually served with rice or bread like naan. A really good balance of flavours in one dish where the sweetness of mangoes and creaminess of coconut milk mellows down the spices.
- 700 g boneless chicken thighs, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium mangoes, diced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- fish sauce or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- coriander for garnishing
- In a heavy pan add oil and sauté garlic, ginger and onions. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add the curry powder and stir until fragrant.
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk, vinegar and half of the diced mangoes, bring to a boil then turn heat off.
- Using a hand blender puree the sauce in the pan or if you don’t have a hand blender pour over blender then puree sauce until smooth. Set aside.
- Using a separate pan add small amount of oil and add chicken. Stir until chicken pieces changes colour, it should not be pinkish but not brown.
- Pour over the pureed sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining coconut milk, remaining mangoes and capsicum then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce/sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour over steamed rice, garnish with coriander then serve.