Mango Chicken is a common dish found in India and several Asian countries. This dish is made out of coconut milk, chicken, mangoes and curry spices usually served with rice or bread like naan. A really good balance of flavours in one dish where the sweetness of mangoes and creaminess of coconut milk mellows down the spices.
- 700 g boneless chicken thighs, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium mangoes, diced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- fish sauce or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- coriander for garnishing
- In a heavy pan add oil and sauté garlic, ginger and onions. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add the curry powder and stir until fragrant.
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk, vinegar and half of the diced mangoes, bring to a boil then turn heat off.
- Using a hand blender puree the sauce in the pan or if you don’t have a hand blender pour over blender then puree sauce until smooth. Set aside.
- Using a separate pan add small amount of oil and add chicken. Stir until chicken pieces changes colour, it should not be pinkish but not brown.
- Pour over the pureed sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining coconut milk, remaining mangoes and capsicum then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce/sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour over steamed rice, garnish with coriander then serve.
I always think I don’t particularly care for mangos until I see a recipe like this. Looks delicious. I like butter chicken too 🙂
LOVE mango chicken. Looks divine!!
I’ve never had mango chicken but I can see from this recipe that that’s about to change! (if I can still find mangos since it’s a tad wintery here at the moment)
That looks great. We don’t eat mangoes like this, just don’t think to. Now we will.
This recipe fits nicely into my recent curry kick I’ve been on … do you use a certain brand of curry powder?
I guess any brands will do, I just use the normal ones here
What an interesting combination of ingredients! Sounds so delicious!
I have never had mango chicken before and this is something I would try. It looks creamy, rich, and delicious. Thank you, Raymund and Merry Christmas to you and your family.
looks delish! (and I love that placemat)
What a wonderful recipe: have just unpacked my shopping and everything is there 🙂 ! But, this is one recipe with which I would like to experiment in the way of how other summer fruits would work in the same way?! What a delightful task!! [OK! OK! I did not buy mango 🙂 !]
We’re in the same wave length! I just posted Indian food as well! This Mango Chicken looks so delicious that I’m literally lungeing in to my computer screen! I want to eat this!
This sounds amazing! None of the Indian restaurants around me offer mango chicken…guess I’m just going to have to make it myself 🙂
Oh yes – I would be happy to make a meal from this! Delicious!
Now this is a recipe my daughter will go crazy for – she loves mangoes! 🙂