Maruya or Banana Fritters are battered bananas deep fried then sprinkled with sugar before serving. A very popular merienda (afternoon tea) in the Philippines, usually cooked at home but it can also be seen sold by street vendors.
- 4 pcs saba (Saba banana), sliced into 3 portions lengthwise
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pc egg
- pinch of salt
- In a bowl combine together flour, baking powder, milk, salt and egg. Mix well until smooth.
- Add the sliced bananas.
- Heat oil in wok then place bananas one slice at a time.
- Turn heat to low then fry until golden brown in colour.
- Place in a paper towel lined plate prior to serving to remove excess oil.
- Sprinkle sugar on top before serving.