Intemtem or Tupig is a popular native delicacy from Pangasinan which is made out of ground glutinous rice and coconuts strips wrapped in banana leaves then cooked over charcoal.
- 2 packed cups glutinous rice
- 1 cup young coconut strips
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- banana leaves
- In a small mixing bowl add glutinous rice and pour enough water to soak the rice. Leave it in a room temperature overnight.
- Drain the water from the rice then place in a cheesecloth to remove excess liquid.
- Place in a blender or food processor and process until it becomes a powder, add the coconut milk and sugar and continue to blend until even in consistency.
- Place mixture in a bowl then combine with the coconut strips.
- Place 2 tablespoons of mixture in the centre of the banana leaf then wrap by rolling and fold the edges to avoid dripping. (This will be tricky as the dough is very runny, it takes practice).
- Immediately place in a charcoal or any grill once you wrap one, cook by turning frequently. Once the banana leaf is charred on all sides remove it from the grill then set aside to cool before serving.