Cheese Ice Cream or what we call Keso / Queso Ice Cream is an ice cream flavoured with cheese. A very popular flavour in the Philippines it is sold almost by every ice cream vendor.
- 2 1/2 cups cream
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 packet cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- drops of yellow food colour
- In a sauce pan combine cream, cream cheese, milk and sugar. Heat slowly while continuously mixing until it reaches nearly boiling point (do not boil) and sugar is completely dissolved
- Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl then slowly pour around a cup of the heated cream mixture while whisking.
- Pour egg mixture to the sauce pan then continue to heat while continuously mixing. Dip a tablespoon and see if liquid sticks to the back side, if it does then you can now turn the heat off.
- Place in a heat proof container; add drops of yellow food colour and vanilla extract. Let it cool down, once cooled down place in the fridge for at least four hours.
- Prepare your ice cream maker and pour the cream mixture together with shredded cheddar, churn according to ice cream manufacturer’s instruction. Mine took 30-35 minutes.
- You can now eat the ice cream at this stage, but if you prefer a firm ice cream freeze for at least 6 hours.