Philippines is no different that is why we have this dish called Sinigang na Ulo, basically it’s a fish head cooked in a tamarind based broth. Any fish head can be used but usually we use larger types of fish so you get lots of meat from it.
- 3 large Hapuka heads (or any large fish)
- 1 packet Tamarind Mix (Sinigang Mix)
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 bunch mustard greens
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 litre water
- In a pot onions and tomatoes then pour water. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling add fish and tamarind mix, simmer for 5-10 minutes (or until cooked). If the fish head is too large you might need to cook each head individually and increase the time.
- Add mustard greens then simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Season with Fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper