For today’s post we will make some Siopao Bola Bola, a steamed bun version in the Philippines where it is filled with seasoned minced pork. The name “Bola” means balls which describes the ball shaped filling inside the steamed buns.
- 3 cups dumpling flour + 1/2 cup for dusting
- 2oo ml warm water
- 1/2 cup + 2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp shortening or vegetable oil (use shortening to make it whiter in colour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 500 g minced pork, 15% fat
- 4 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and chopped
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 4 tsp sesame oil
Water for Steaming
- water, for steaming
- 1 tbsp of vinegar per litre of water, for steaming
- Mix all filling ingredients together then set aside.
- Mix together yeast, 2 tsp sugar, and 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Set aside in a warm location for 30 minutes.
- Mix remaining ingredients except for the baking powder then knead dough until dough surface is smooth and texture is elastic; occasionally dust the board with dumpling flour. Place in a greased bowl then place in a warm location, set aside for 2 hours. After two hours the size would be doubled.
- Deflate dough then spread on floured board. Add the baking powder evenly then knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 10 – 12 pieces then roll them thin, place a good amount of the mixed mixture in the middle then seal them on top, place buns in a greased paper. Do with the remaining dough and filling. Set aside in a warm location for 30 minutes.
- Prepare your steamer by pouring water and vinegar. Vinegar will make sure your buns are white.
- Place buns into steamer container then steam siopao for 20-25 minutes.