Melon Juice or Cantaloupe Juice; it is a type of Filipino refreshment where it is made out of shredded Melon, Water, Sugar, Milk and Ice. It is a popular street drink where you can see it everywhere usually served in small drinking plastic bags with straws sold alongside with buko juice and sago gulaman.
- 1 medium sized melon/cantaloupe
- 1.5 litres water
- 1 large can evaporated milk (Optional)
- sugar (according to desired sweetness, Filipinos love it sweet)
- ice cubes
- Cut melon in half; remove the middle part with seeds.
- Scrape melon meat and place it in a large pitcher.
- Pour in the water and evaporated milk.
- Stir in sugar and ice.
You can omit the evaporated milk and replace it with same amount of water, some serve it without milk.
If using milk you need to consume it immediately as it will turn bitter due to their proteolytic enzyme which breaks down the milk proteins, this happens occasionally I am not sure why but most probably the content of enzymes varies between different melons.