Puto Calasiao is a type of Puto (rice cake) shaped in small bite-sized portions and it is made out of semi-glutinous rice that is fermented in earthen jars
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- 1/4 cup glutinous rice
- 1 1/4 cup water to cover rice
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp of yeast (See Note below)
- In a container (best to use an earthen ware bowl), combine medium grain rice, glutinous rice and water. Soak the mixture for 2 days.
- Drain the rice reserving the liquid, place rice in food processor or blender then blend in high speed while slowly adding water a teaspoon at a time. Continue to blend add 1 tbsp of sugar then add the reserved water until the consistency resembles pancake batter.
- Once texture is smooth place mixture back to the container then cover with glad-wrap. Place small holes on the glad wrap by pricking it with toothpicks, this will let the mixture breathe during the fermentation process. Place in a warm place then let it ferment for 3-4 days. After 3 or 4 days the consistency of the mixture would be thicker.
- Gently fold 3/4 cups sugar into the mixture.
- Pour into greased puto mould, leave it for 1 hour and let it rise.
- Once mixture is bubbly and increased in volume, place in a steamer then steam for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from moulds then serve.
You can add 1/2 tsp of yeast to quicken the fermentation process. If you do this add the yeast in step three but instead of fermenting it for 3 to 4 days you can let it ferment it for 12 hours. Continue on to step 4.