Beef and Spinach Cannelloni is a type of pasta which are shaped in cylindrical form then stuffed with minced beef and spinach then covered with tomato and/or béchamel sauce. Usual stuffing are minced meats, spinach and ricotta.
- 700g lean minced beef
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 packet spinach, chopped
- 1 large can chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup fresh cream
- 3 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 30g butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 350ml whole milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 pcs cannelloni tubes or 6 sheets lasagne
- Note: for dried lasagne, soak it in hot water first until soft enough to roll.
- In a heavy pan, add olive oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add celery and cook until onions and celery are soft.
- Add the minced beef and cook until light brown in colour.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and dried oregano, simmer to 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach, cream and lemon juice, cook for 2 minutes then turn heat off.
- Add the basil then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside and let it cool down.
- In a rectangular oven proof dish add a layer of sauce in the bottom.
- Fill each lasagne sheets with the meat mixture and roll, place them in the dish with seal side on the bottom. If you are using cannelloni, prepare it first according to packet instructions and fill then individually with the mixture. Leave a small amount of meat mixture to fill the gaps between each cannelloni roll. Set dish aside.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter in low heat. Once hot and melted add the flour to form a roux.
- Add the garlic and pour in milk gradually until and cook until it forms a lump free thick sauce.
- Pour sauce on top of prepared cannelloni dish, add a generous amount of parmesan cheese on top then add a generous amount of mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake in a 200C preheated oven for 35-45 minutes until the top turns golden brown in colour.