Before I had posted one of the popular office lunch box meals in Hong Kong called Hong Kong Style Fish Fillets in Corn Sauce, I nearly ordered that everyday when I worked there but if that not my choice this was my other option the beef steak in tomato sauce.
- 600g beef tenderloin, sliced into 1 inch thick steaks
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 3 large red tomatoes cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season steaks with salt and pepper then set aside for 15 minutes.
- Brush steaks with small amount of oil.
- Heat up a large skillet then add oil, cook steaks for 3 minutes on each side then set aside.
- Once steaks are cooked place it in a warm location and let it rest.
- Using the same skillet add oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add tomatoes and once it turns soft add water, tomato ketchup, Chinese cooking wine, Worcestershire sauce and sugar. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then pour on top of steak.