Balbacua is a Filipino stew prepared with oxtails, saba bananas and white beans slowly simmered in sauce made with tomatoes, peanut butter and black bean paste.
- 1.5 kg ox tail (preferably with skin on)
- 4 pcs Cardaba bananas (Saba bananas)
- 1 large can baked beans / pork and beans
- 3 heaping tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp black bean paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 cups water
- 2 stalks baby leeks, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes for garnishing
- In a large pot add oil then brown ox tail on all sides. Once browned remove ox tail then set it aside.
- Add garlic and onions then sauté until onions are soft.
- Pour the water, beef stock and add the ox tail back. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Add the Saba banana, leeks, peanut butter, tomato paste, black bean paste and tomato paste bring back to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove from heat, garnish with chopped tomatoes then serve with rice.