Thanks to a fast food restaurant in the Philippines called “Cucina” located in Robinsons Galleria who introduced me to a really good “Rellenong Talong” dish since then I tried to recreate their version at home and it never failed me, it is always a big hit in our dining table.
- 3 Japanese eggplants
- 8 eggs
- 150g minced beef
- 150g minced pork
- 1 pc large red capsicum, chopped
- 1 large red onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot boil water with 1 tsp salt, add eggplants and cook for 5 minutes
- Remove eggplants and let it cool down. When it’s cool enough to be touched peel off the skin and flatten the eggplants with fork, make sure it’s in one piece. Set aside.
- In a pan add a small amount of oil then sauté garlic and onions. Add minced meats and cook until light brown in colour, add the capsicum then stir fry for 30 seconds then turn heat off. Set aside and let it cool down.
- In a mixing bowl beat together 8 eggs then combine with cooked minced meat. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a small (between 7-9 in diameter) non-stick pan using low heat, add small amount of oil and add the egg mixture just enough to cover the pan, top it with one of the flattened eggplants then pour some more of egg mixture on top. Cover the pan then cook one side for 4-6 minutes in low heat.
- Flip the eggplant patty then continue on the other side for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from pan then serve with catsup.