Potato Mojo are seasoned potato rounds that are deep fried and served as an accompaniment of a fried chicken, a dish that is popularized by Shakey’s Pizza.
- Prepare your potatoes by piercing the surface with fork then place it in a roasting rack and bake for 1 hour for 220C.
- Remove the potatoes from oven and let it cool for at least 15 minutes. Once cool slice the potatoes into 1/3 inch thick rounds then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine together flour, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chilli powder, paprika and dried thyme. Season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a separate mixing bowl pour the half and half.
- Dip each potato round in the half and half and then dredge it the flour mixture.
- Deep fry each potato mojo in a 190C preheated deep fryer for 2 minutes or until crispy and golden brown in colour. Once cooked place in a paper towel lined plate then serve with catsup and mayonnaise or a mix of both.
- You can cook this with the oil used for deep frying fried chicken for more flavourful result.
- For a faster cooking time, you can omit the baking process but instead deep fry potato mojos in 170C preheated oil in a deep fryer for the first 6 minutes then increase the temperature to 190C and cook for 2 more minutes. There will be a difference in texture and flavour as the slow method will soak up that half and half, giving it a creamy taste inside at the same it it will be fluffier.