Greek pizza can be referred to any of the two food items, First is a pizza using Greek ingredients and the other one refers to the pizza crust which is distinguished by its oily nature and baked in pan, for this post it will be referring to the Greek toppings and I will be using the same crust I had used in my past pizza posts
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1/3 cup water, Warm
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dry oregano leaves
- 1 cup water, cold
- 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour + 1/2 cup for dusting
- 1 1/2 tbsp corn oil
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (or ground corn chips)
- olive oil for greasing the pan
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 cups ham, sliced
- oil from sun dried tomatoes
- freshly ground black pepper
- Mix yeast and 1 tsp sugar on warm water, set aside until very bubbly.
- Now combine the rest of the ingredients for the crust but using only 1 1/2 cup of flour with the yeast mixture. Mix with a spatula until it forms a batter.
- Now slowly add the remaining flour and start kneading in a floured surface (don’t knead the dough too much that the texture is tough)
- Now place it in a big greased bowl and cover it with a cling wrap, make sure it will handle twice the size of the dough. Place in a warm location (I usually place it in an oven preheated to 60C then turned off) for around 45 minutes or until it doubled the size.
- Once doubled, remove from container, deflate and continue to knead, flatten using a rolling-pin make sure the thickness is no greater than 5mm, place it in a well-greased pan, brush with oil and dust with corn meal.
- Mix the tomato puree with minced garlic, salt and black pepper. Set aside
- Place your toppings brushing the dough with olive initially, then with the tomato puree mix, sun dried tomatoes, onion, ham, feta cheese, mozzarella cheese and olives. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Place in a preheated over at 230C for 20 to 25 minutes.