- 500 grams beef rib eye
- 115 grams canned whole or sliced button mushroom
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 beef broth cube dissolved in 1 ½ cup hot water
- ¾ cup red wine (use wine that you would drink)
- 6 bacon strips, roughly chopped
- ½ tablespoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 3 teaspoons all purpose flour
- Small cubes of butter
- In a large nonstick pan, heat olive oil over medium heat then add the bacon. Fry until fat renders. Remove the bacon and set aside. Pat the beef dry with paper towels. Season one side with salt and pepper. Using tongs, place the rib eye on the pan, seasoned side down. Season with salt and pepper the side facing up. Cook both sides until it starts to brown. Remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, sauté the onions until limp. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 30 more seconds. Using the spatula, nudge the onions and mushrooms to the sides of the pan, and then add back the beef and the bacon. Add the beef broth water and the wine. Season with thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle in the flour and gently mix everything together.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Place the pan in the oven and allow to cook for 2 – 3 hours or until beef is tender. Remove from the oven and adjust the taste to your preference. Serve warm with rice or buttered toasted and enjoy!