- 5 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
- 4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water, warm
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter + some for topping, melted
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 2 cups water, hot
- 1 cup roughly chopped almonds
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tsp white sugar in warm water, set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, 1/2 cup soft brown sugar, and salt. Make a well in the centre the then pour the yeast mixture and the melted butter. Using hand, mix until it forms a dough, remove from bowl then knead until dough is smooth. Place in a lightly greased bowl then cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise in a warm place for about an hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces then in a non-stick surface (not floured it will be hard to work out in a floured surface) roll each dough into a long rope and form it into a pretzel shape. Set aside.
- In a bowl add baking soda and hot water.
- Mix together 1 cup soft brown sugar and almonds then place on a large plate.
- Dip each pretzel shaped dough in the baking soda solution.
- Drench pretzels in almond sugar mixture then place in a lightly greased baking pan.
- Bake in a 220C preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven, spread some butter on top then serve.