Tiramisu is an Italian dessert made out of Savoiardi (ladyfingers) dipped in coffee, layered with a custard like mixture, mascarpone and chocolates or cocoa. A dessert that is very popular the flavours have been adapted in to many types of sweet dishes such as puddings, cakes, breads and other desserts.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup white sugar
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 250ml fresh cream
- 2 packets lady’s finger
- 1 1/2 cup very strong espresso
- 1 cup dark chocolate, shavings
- cocoa powder, for dusting
- In a double boiler mix together egg yolks and sugar in low heat, cook for about 10 minutes while constantly stirring. Remove from heat and whip yolks until thick.
- Add the mascarpone into the yolk mixture and beat until combined.
- In another mixing bowl whip cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- Fold the whipped cream and mascarpone mixture together then set aside.
- Put the coffee into a shallow dish or plate then dip in a lady fingers one at a time, soak only for a few seconds and make sure they are not soggy.
- Place a layer of coffee soaked lady fingers into the bottom of your serving dish, then scoop some of the cream filling, and then place chocolate shavings on top. Repeat this process until you have 2 to 3 of these layers then finishing it with a cream filling on top and garnishing with chocolate shavings.
- Chill well, top with cocoa powder then serve.