Minestrone is a type of Italian soup made with different types of vegetables and sometimes pasta and meat. There is no set recipe for this dish and usually any vegetables can be used but there are popular ones like carrots, celery, beans, onions and tomatoes. This dish is very popular in Italian tables and it is as nearly as popular as pasta dishes.
- 200 g bacon rashers or pancetta, chopped
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups Savoy cabbage, chopped
- 1 large can chopped tomatoes
- 4–5 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- In a pot add oil then fry bacon until golden brown. Remove from pot then set aside.
- Add onions and garlic then saute until onions starts to sweat.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, celery and flour (sprinkle evenly) then continuously stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked bacon, chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, oregano and thyme, bring it to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes in low heat.
- Add the cabbage and cannellini beans then simmer for 10 more minutes in low heat.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve.