Chicken cashew is made out of deep fried or stir fried chicken mixed together with cashews then served with thick oyster sauce. There are several versions of this dish but I’m pretty sure that most of you didn’t know that this is actually an American dish, Chinese-American to be precise.
- 500g chicken breast, sliced
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- 2 pcs green capsicum, sliced into squares
- 1/2 thumb sized ginger, sliced thinly
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- peanut oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Marinate chicken in cornstarch, 1 tbsp cooking wine and cornstarch for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix together sauce ingredients then set aside.
- In a wok add oil then stir fry chicken in high heat until cooked, remove from wok then set aside.
- In the same wok add oil then sauté ginger and onions for 1 minute.
- Add capsicum and stir fry for another minute.
- Add the chicken back, cashew and the sauce, mix well to coat the chicken pieces evenly. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.