Stir Fried Mussels with Black Bean and Chilli Sauce

I think I had already mentioned before that I love to learn different ways to cook mussels as I don’t know a lot of recipes that uses these wonderful sea creatures. So far I these are the recipes I know that uses mussels as the main ingredient

It’s a pity isn’t it, that is why every cookbook or even TV shows that showcase this ingredient I always had bookmarked or had taken notes. This recipe is no different and I got it from a book called Simple Chinese Cooking by Kylie Kwong, BTW I am a big fan of her Cantonese dishes) and the first time I saw this I know that I will easily love this dish so after reading it, you know what? you guessed right I went straight to the supermarket and bought some fresh mussels and made this delicious dish and here is the result a recipe adapted from the book “Simple Chinese Cooking”

Stir Fried Mussels with Black Bean and Chilli Sauce

• juice from 1 small lemon
  • 1 tsp ginger paste
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • handful coriander, chopped
  • peanut oil

1. In a pot place the mussels and 1 cup of water, cover and cook in high heat until shells open. Once cooked remove the mussels then set aside, reserve the liquid as well.
  2. In a wok add oil then stir fry garlic, red onion, ginger paste, dried red chillies, black beans and spring onions for 2 minutes
  3. Add the mussels and capsicum and stir fry for 2 minutes.
  4. Add wine, 1/3 cup of reserved liquid, oyster sauce, sugar, sesame oil stir fry until sauce thickens.
  5. Add lemon juice and coriander then serve.

Recipe Card powered by

1. nors says:

Mukang masarap pulutan yan pre ha. Masubukan nga. Tara inom tayo!

2. Mussels + Kylie Kwong = sold!

3. Those are fabulous. Mussels are one of my favorites.

4. Hazel says:

this looks delicious! i don’t know any recipe for tahong! this one will be the first 🙂

5. Tessa says:

Gorgeous mussels! I just love black bean and chili sauce!

6. This looks amazing Raymund! I have never cooked mussels before so you are definitely light years ahead of me with how to cook mussels. Your photos have taken a HUGE leap forward lately. I have noticed your very awesome food styling and EXCELLENT photography. Wow!

Oh Raymund! You know how we love mussels around here. These look absolutely amazing. I have to make these!!!!

8. We LOVE mussels here! Done any which way, and this looks wonderful!!!

9. I don’t cook with mussels very often either but I do agree, NZ mussels are the best! This is a lovely recipe and I’m sure these mussels were full of flavour.

10. New Zealand mussels would be so sweet against that sauce – delicious !

11. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Beautiful shot Raymund! I’ve never had “stir fried” mussles. That’s going to be fun to cook, and black bean sauce for this? Must try!

12. Karen says:

This sounds like such a flavorful way to prepare mussels and so fast to prepare.

13. kiwidutch says:

I’m allergic to shellfish so these aren’t for me, but Himself loves them and cooks them for friends who also adore mussels whilst I have some fish on my menu.

Both the Dutch and Belgium’s traditionally cook their mussels in beer and according to Himself it’s “brilliant way to do them”.
    If you want I can ask for some of his favourite recipes 🙂

14. looks tasty

15. Mussels are by far one of my favorite sea creatures. There are a few all-you-can-eat sushi places in town that also do all-you-can-eat mussels…I feel like the mussels alone are worth it! Your recipe looks delicious. I have only used mussels in cioppino at home, so I will definitely give your recipe a shot next time mussels are on the menu! 🙂

16. Gayle says:

can you use frozen green mussels?