Cincau is a drink made out of grass jelly, a jelly made out of the stalks and leaves of Mesona chinensis which is a member of the mint family. Since it is from the same species as mint this jelly gives it that cooling property that’s why it is commonly used in dessert and drinks in counties like Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia as it can help a lot hot and humid climate.
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 can grass jelly, cubed
- In a pot, add the first 2 tbsp of sugar and caramelize it (do not burn), then add water, vanilla and the remaining sugar, let it boil then simmer for at least 5 minutes. Make sure that the sugar is totally dissolved.
- Using a cheese cloth or any clean cloth, strain the syrup, this separates the sand-like grains from the sugar, leaving you with clear brown syrup.
- Pour the syrup in glass (according to the sweetness you like) then some cold water. Add the grass jelly and lots of ice.
- In a pot add sugar and water. Let it boil then simmer for at least 5 minutes. Make sure that the sugar is totally dissolved.
- Pour the soya milk in a glass, Add the grass jelly, sugar syrup (according to the sweetness you like) and ice