Lumpiang Hubad or “Naked Spring Rolls” is basically vegetable spring rolls without the wrappers. It is usually made out of but not limited to cabbage, green beans, carrots, celery, sweet potatoes, bamboo sprouts, jicama and small amounts of meat like pork chicken and shrimps. Like its dressed counterpart this is also served with a sweet style peanut sauce. A really good vegetable dish that can be consumed on its own, with rice or as a side dish.
100g pork, minced
100g shrimps, shelled and chopped into small pieces
1/4 head of cabbage, thinly sliced
100g French beans, thinly sliced
1 medium sized sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chicken stock
4 cloves garlic, minced
Ingredients (Peanut Sauce)
8 cloves garlic, 2 minced and the remaining with skin on
1 cup peanuts, crushed
1 tbsp peanut oil
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
3 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- In a wok heat oil then lightly brown the pork pieces.
- Add garlic and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add sweet potatoes and stir fry for 1 minute
- Add cabbage, French beans and shrimps and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from wok, place in a colander to drain any liquid. Set aside
Method (Peanut Sauce)
- Place 6 garlic cloves in a sauce pan with water, bring that to a boil and cook garlic with skin on. You can also cook this together with the bamboo shoots. Once cooked remove from sauce pan then remove the skin and mash.
- In a sauce pan add oil then sauté garlic once brown add soy sauce, water, sugar, half of chopped peanuts and mashed garlic. Bring to a boil then simmer.
- Add cornstarch mixture and cook in low temperature until sauce thickens.
Method (Lumpiang Hubad)
- Serve mixed vegetables on a plate then dress it with peanut sauce then top it with ground peanuts.