Tinolang Tahong

Tinolang Tahong

Third day and still no meat, so today we will be putting some protein back to your system by using mussels as the main ingredient.

Tinolang tahong might be one of popular lenten dishses as its easy to prepare and this dish is one of the cheapest dishes you can have in the Philippines.  Having said  that cheap does not equate to tasting really bad as this this surely packs a lot of flavour, the soup flavours are simply stunning and I can have this every day. This dish is the Philippine version of the Moulles Marinieres but instead of cooking it in wine we just simply use water but with the help of ginger and garlic the flavours are greatly enhanced.

Tinolang Tahong

Serves: 4
  • 1 kg mussels, cleaned
  • 1 thumb sized ginger, julienned
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bunch chilli leaves (can be substituted with moringa leaves or spinach)
  • fish sauce
  • freshly ground pepper
  • oil
  1. In a pot sauté garlic, ginger and onions.
  2. Add mussels then pour 3-4 cups of water, bring to a boil then simmer covered.
  3. Once shells are opened add the chilli leaves.
  4. Simmer for two more minutes then season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper.

1. nors says:

Ang linamnamn ng sabaw nyan…

2. Henry says:

Tulya and tahong are very good source of iodine, its one of my best food choice.

3. Judy says:

Ginger and garlic is always a fabulous combination for us. BTW — I like the stripes on the bowl and towel, great effect.

4. yoyi77 says:

I love mussels, I do the same w/a splash of white wine but I haven’t tried fish sauce. Definitely worth a try, thank you for sharing.

5. What fabulous flavors with those devastatingly delicious looking mussels!

6. Caroline says:

Simple and fresh…sounds delicious!!

7. I;m not a huge mussels fan, but you certainly making me reconsider that. Then again, you always make me reconsider some foods lol

8. This looks really good and I’m excited to give it a try!

9. I really like the simple flavours in this!

10. Mussels with a little ginger…oh ya I can dig that.

11. I’ve only had mussels a few times, but I liked their rich texture!

12. When we’re lucky enough to have tahong here in Zamboanga, or when we bring it home from Manila, making it into soup is non-negotiable because it’s one of the best soups that I’ve tasted and a family favorite! 😀

I’m working backwards as I’ve missed a few days and now you really have me drooling and in definite need for some mussels. I’m not sure which one I would be more excited about – I’d definitely need to make both the fritters and this one. 🙂

14. ah, one of my favorite soups. yum yum