Lasagna is an Italian pasta dish made out of different layers of wide flat pasta, Béchamel Sauce (cheese sauce), and a meat sauce.
- 350g minced beef
- 350g minced pork
- 100g bacon, chopped
- 1 red large onion, chopped
- 10 large tomatoes chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small tub tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup beef stock
- handful of chopped basil leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp plain flour
- 800ml milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- In a pan add oil and brown bacon,
- Add onions and garlic, stir until onions are soft and cooked.
- Add mince pork and beef continuously stirring until brown.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and beef stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, basil, oregano then season with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a pot then stir in flour.
- Continue stirring while gradually pouring milk.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Continue stirring until sauce becomes smooth and thick
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- In a baking dish (13 x 9), cover the base with meat sauce.
- Place lasagne sheets, then the meat sauce, then béchamel sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat this 3 times creating 3 layers of pasta with sauce.
- On the top most layers sprinkle a good amount of parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until cooked.