- 800g chicken thighs
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 thumb sized ginger, sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white end part
- 2 large young coconuts
- sea salt or fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- handful of chilli or capsicum leaves
- Brush chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Prepare your coconuts by boring a hole on top then pouring the coconut water in a separate container. Cut coconuts in half then scrape out the meat using a spoon. Set it aside.
- In a pot, add oil then brown chicken pieces on all sides. Remove chicken from pot then set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté garlic, onion and ginger then add the coconut water, lemongrass and chicken (if the coconut meat is a bit hard you can add it at this stage, otherwise add it at the end) then bring it to a boil. Simmer in low heat for 25 minutes (if using native chicken you have to simmer it for at least an hour or longer until chicken is tender).
- Add chilli leaves (this is where you add the coconut meat if it’s soft) then simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Season with sea salt / fish sauce according to taste. Serve it on a bowl or coconut shells.