Laswa is a type of vegetable stew prepared with squash, sweet potatoes, green papaya, string beans, eggplant, mung beans, okra, malabar spinach, native spinach, moringa leaves and jute leaves.
- 500g large shrimps, with shells
- 1/2 small butternut squash, cubed
- 1 bunch string beans, sliced
- 2 eggplants, sliced
- 10 pcs okra
- 1 bunch saluyot (jute leaves)
- 4 cups chicken or seafood stock
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt or fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the shells from the shrimps, set aside the shelled shrimps then keep the shells. Place shells in a blender with 2 cup of water, give it a short pulse just enough to chop the shells roughly but not pureed. Place on a fine sieve and drain the liquid, set the liquid aside.
- Add a small amount of oil in a pot then sauté garlic and onions, once onions turn soft add squash and string beans.
- Add chicken stock and liquid from blended shrimp shells; bring it to a boil then once boiling add the okra and eggplants. Simmer in medium heat for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add shrimps and jute leaves and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Flavour with fish sauce and season with freshly ground black pepper.