Pork Leg Roast
Every Christmas in our house a leg ham is a must, it like a tradition similar to turkeys in the U.S. during Thanksgiving but like my blueberry cheesecake I want to change what’s on our centrepiece this time around so I opted for a pork leg roast as I am imagining a really soft melt in your mouth tender meat with crispy crackling served on my plate would be better than a leg ham.
A real easy recipe that you can serve on special occasions all you need is 10 minutes of preparation time and lots of patience waiting for it to cook. How about you what was your centrepiece dish last Christmas?
4-6 kg pork leg, bone in, rind on (choose the one that is fatty this helps in making the meat soft)
freshly ground black pepper
- Pre heat oven to 220C.
- Score rind with a sharp knife; rub generously with salt filling the crevices of the scored rind.
- Rub oil evenly on the whole leg.
- Season leg with freshly ground black pepper.
- Place leg in a roasting rack then roast for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 170 and cook for 30 minutes for 500g of meat (In my case I had a 6kg leg so I cooked it for 6 hrs.)
- You can also add potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin and onions on the last hour of cooking.
- Once cooked remove from oven then let it cook for 10 minutes before serving.