KBL or Kadyos, Baboy at Langka like the name suggest is a soup dish made out of Kadyos (Pigeon Peas), Baboy (Pork preferably pork leg) and Langka (Jackfruit), similar to sinigang this dish is sour due to the flavours of Batwan fruit used (I don’t know what’s the English name for this). A popular dish from Iloilo, it is one of the most requested dishes if there is an event hosted by an Ilongo.
- 1.5 kg pork leg
- 1 1/2 cup pigeon peas or black beans, if using the dried one soak it ovenight prior to use
- 2 cups cubed young jackfruit
- 1 bunch of spinach, water spinach or sweet potato tops (talbos ng kamote)
- 5 pieces batuan or 8 pcs tamarind fruit
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced
- 2 litres water
- 1 onion, chopped
- fish sauce or sea salt
- finger chillies
- Grill pork leg on a charcoal barbecue to lightly char the meat on all sides, this is needed for that smoky flavour.
- In a pot add water, pork leg, batuan, lemon grass and onions, bring it to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the pigeon peas or black beans then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add jackfruit simmer for 30 more minutes.
- Add spinach and finger chillies, simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Season with fish sauce or salt and freshly ground black pepper.