Japchae, jabchae or chapchae is a Korean noodle dish made out of dangmyeon (sweet potato starch noodles) cooked with vegetables (carrots, onion, spinach, and mushrooms) and meat which is served hot or cold.
- 500 g packet sweet potato starch noodles (dangmyeon)
- 350 g beef, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch spinach or choysum
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 6 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and thinly sliced (reserve liquid used for rehydration)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook noodles according to instruction, drain then set it aside.
- Season beef slices in salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Blanch your spinach or choysum, and then rinse it with cold running water, set it aside.
- Prepare a wok add oil then in high heat stir fry beef pieces for around 2 minutes. Set this aside.
- Add garlic in the wok then sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms then continue to stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add carrot and onions then stir fry for a minute.
- Add the cooked noodles and vegetable greens, beef, soy sauce, cayenne, sesame oil, salt, sugar and freshly ground black pepper. Stir fry for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Serve it hot or cold.