Dinuguan, pork blood stew, blood pudding stew or chocolate meat is another popular Filipino dish made out of different offal’s like lungs, kidneys, intestines, ears, heart and snout cooked in a pig’s blood flavoured with vinegar or tamarind.
- 750g pork belly, sliced into small cubes
- 250g pork heart, sliced into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups pigs’ blood
- 3 cups water
- 6 green finger chillies
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 1/2 thumb sized ginger, minced
- 1 large onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2/3 cup water
- pinch of salt
- In a pot add oil then brown pork belly and pork heart pieces
- Add garlic, onion and ginger and cook until onions turn soft.
- Add the chillies,vinegar and water, bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add pork blood then, slowly simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sift together flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add milk and water then mix until it forms a smooth batter.
- Place in moulds or if you don’t have puto moulds place it on small cups, fill up to 2/3 full then steam for 20 minutes.