Spanish Bread is a Filipino type of bread filled with breading doused with sugar and margarine. A popular Filipino bread eaten usually during tea time.
- Mix yeast and warm water together. Set aside for 30 minutes, if the mixture turns frothy then continue otherwise its not active anymore, you will need to get a new yeast and repeat the process.
- Sift all dry bread ingredients in a large bowl
- Whisk together melted butter and sugar then combine it with the yeast mixture.
- Combine liquid mixture with dry mixture then mix together, once it forms a dough knead in a flat surface for 10 minutes by hand. If you are using a stand mixer with a bread hook or a bread maker, follow the instructions of your equipment.
- Place dough in a large bowl, cover it with damp kitchen towel and put in a warm place. Let the dough rise for an hour, it should be double in size. If it does not double in size in an hour let it rise further.
- Once dough is ready, remove it from the bowl, place in a flat surface then flatten with a rolling pin, should be around 8 mm thick.
- Mix filling ingredients together.
- Spread filling ingredients into the dough while avoiding the edge, cut dough into 16 isosceles trapezoid (Like triangle with top cut off) shapes. Starting from the longer edge roll the dough all the way tightly and make sure the end seals.
- Place each piece in a baking paper lined pan, brush top with water, sprinkle bread crumbs all around then let it rest for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Cover baking pan with a cling wrap then set aside and let it rise again for an hour.
- Bake in a 180 C preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove from baking pan immediately then let it cool in a wire rack.