Kansi is like a cross between Sinigang and Bulalo where Beef shanks are flavoured with a sour fruit called batawan and lemon grass, vegetables used are different as well as it uses jackfruit instead of the normal sinigang veggies.
- 3 pcs beef shank cuts (around 1.2 to 1.5kg)
- 2 cups sliced young jackfruit
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 thumb sized ginger, sliced
- 4–6 pcs green finger chillies
- 1 tbsp annatto powder
- 7 pcs batwan fruit or 1 large packet sinigang mix
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot add beef shanks, ginger, tomatoes and onion; pour enough water to cover everything. Bring it to a boil then simmer for 90 minutes or until meat is tender, remove any scum that rises.
- Add the souring agent (sinigang or batawan), sliced jackfruit, chillies, lemongrass and annatto powder simmer for 20 minutes or unitl jackfruit is tender.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.