- 400g macaroni
- 400g minced beef
- 400g minced pork
- 2 400g can chopped tomatoes Italian Blend
- 1/2 cup good beef stock
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- handful basil, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- mozzarella cheese, adjust amount to your liking
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 600ml milk
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Melt butter in a pot then stir in flour.
- Continue stirring while gradually pouring milk.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Continue stirring until sauce becomes smooth and thick
- Cook macaroni according to packet instructions, once cooked drain then set aside.
- In a pan add olive oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add beef and pork mince and cook until light brown in colour.
- Add chopped tomatoes, beef stock, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, sugar, basil, oregano and cayenne. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine together macaroni and meat sauce, mix it evenly then place on a casserole or baking dish. Top with the bechamel sauce then with the mozarella cheese and bake in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes, increase the temperature to 220C then continue to bake for 7-10 more minutes or until top is bubbly and partly turning golden brown.
- Remove from oven then let it cool before serving.