- 2 rolls ready-made flaky pastry
- 1 1/2 cup red (adzuki) beans
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- Place red beans in a pot and fill with enough water (beans should be 2 inch below the water surface). Bring to a boil and cook until soft, add water if necessary. Once its turns soft, mash it using a potato masher or a handheld food processor.
- Bring heat to low then add in the sugar and butter, mix well until totally dissolved.
- Add in flour and mix until it becomes a really thick paste, add water if necessary. Consistency should be something like a really firm mashed potato. Once evenly mixed turn off heat and let it cool.
- Defrost 1 flaky pastry roll and cut it in half. Place half of the paste mixture into the pastry and roll. Do it with the remaining paste. Place 2 rolls in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Defrost the remaining pastry roll then cut it using a medium size cookie cutter. Setting aside each round pastry.
- Remove filled rolls from the fridge and slice them into 1 inch thick pieces.
- Dampen 1 side of each round pastry and cover sliced roll in top and bottom sealing all edges. Brush with beaten eggs then place in a greased baking pan.
- Bake in a 200C preheated oven for 8 minutes on one side, then turn to the other side and bake for another 8 minutes.
- Let it cool before serving.