Lemon Cake as the name implies is a cake with a very strong lemon flavour, similar to a pound cake it is sweet, buttery and moist. This cake is also topped with a sugar lemon frosting that adds to the lovely lemon taste. My wife made this one and just saw it when I came home the other day, like any other cakes she bakes it is sort of a surprise as she never tells me what is she baking for the week. I had a slice of it after dinner together with some chamomile tea which is a really good pair for this cake, next day came after dinner I was looking for it and to my surprise it’s all gone my wife and daughter have finished it all, well to be fair the recipe was really good and did not deserve a second day on the cake stand.
3 cups flour
3/4 cup lemon juice
225g unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups white sugar
1/3 cup lemon zest
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup milk, warm
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
3 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Using a hand mixer cream butter and 2 cups of sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add eggs one at a time while continuously mixing.
- Mix in the lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, milk and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the lemon juice mixture, mix evenly then place on a greased baking dish.
- Bake in a 180C preheated oven for 50 minutes or until fully baked (always check the middle part).
- While cake is baking mix together 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup lemon juice in a sauce pan, cook in low heat until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Remove cake from oven, place it in a wire rack then let it cool. Once cooled down pour lemon and sugar syrup on top.
- Prepare the glaze by combining confectioners’ sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl, mix until smooth. Pour on top of the cake then serve.