Mixed Vegetables and Cripsy Noodles
There are two types of chow mein the steamed and the crispy variant (also be called Hong Kong style chow mein). These noodles might share the same name but they are totally two different noodle types, crispy chow mein uses flat noodles which are deep fried while the soft chow mein uses long rounded noodles that are steamed.
I had posted a chow mein recipe before but in this post we will be using the crispy variant which gives Asian noodle dishes a new dimension which is texture, a whole lot of it. So what goes well with these noodles? Some crunchy broccoli and carrots, some tender chicken and mushrooms and thick gravy just mentioning those make me drool already.
150g crispy noodles
300g chicken breast, sliced
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1 large carrots, sliced
20 pcs button mushrooms, cut in half
1 large yellow capsicum, sliced
1 small white onion, sliced
1 tsp ginger paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tsp sesame oil
- In a bowl mix together chicken, 1 tbsp cornstarch, salt and sesame oil.
- Add water and 1 tsp of salt in a small pot and bring it to a boil, once boiling add broccoli and cook for 1 minute, drain then rinse with cold water. Set aside
- In a wok add peanut oil and bring heat to high. Once oil nearly reaches its smoking point add chicken and stir fry for 1 minute, remove from wok then set aside.
- Using the same wok, sauté garlic and ginger.
- Add mushrooms then stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add onions, carrots, yellow capsicum and broccoli, stir fry for 1 minute.
- Dissolve 1 tbsp cornstarch in chicken stock then pour into the wok.
- Add chicken and bring it to a rapid boil, simmer for 1 minute then add the crispy noodles. Give it a good mix to evenly coat noodles with sauce. Remove from wok then serve.
Thanks, now I’m drooling too.
Oh wow! My favorite. I love chow mein. Will copy this. Maybe I’ll add few shrimps and squid. So mouth watering!
Looks wonderful and great for a weeknight. I think I’d be happy eating it any night.
I buy crispy noodles very rarely and usually prefer the transparent ones, but they look perfect here!
Ha, what fun! I’ve never eaten crispy noodles like this before, but it sounds really good. I’m sure that crunchy textural contrast adds a lot of interest to the dish. 🙂
It doesn’t get any better than this! I could eat this meal several times a week! Looks wonderful! 🙂
I love those noodles! This looks like a great dish!
You know I am a stir fry nut lol, but this Mixed Veggies and Cripsy Noodles looks amazing. I love it.. I love this dish.
This dish looks delicious. Especially those noodles! Love that they’re crunchy.
Looks clean and delicious. Sorta wish I had a plate in front of me now!
I m drooling…what a colorful looking dish…crispy noodles is one of my fav things!
It looks so good! I love eating crisp noodles, but yours look like it’s from a fine restaurant 🙂
Oh, btw, I’d like to invite you to join the Weekday Potluck Meme and link up your food entries for the week! 🙂
Oh this looks really delicious!!
Crispy noodles sound great – your dish looks so healthy and flavourful.
Very healthy and the more veg inside, the more we enjoy at home.
Very informational…I didnt know the difference between the two noodles..the recipe looks brilliant – beautiful space and I have bookmarked this to make it sometime soon.
Ray I’ve been so busy that I am just looking at all your posts at once – your household has the most amazing diversity in meals. It’s awesome ! I love how you share every day – it’s almost like you’re inviting us to your home to eat with you 🙂
Thanks for the kind words as well as for supporting my blog!