Yesterday I had posted some Leche Flan and that uses a lot of egg yolks and as a result I was left with this egg whites which definitely can be used for something else, first thing that came out in my mind was making some meringue cookies. Meringue cookies or Pacensia cookies (what they call it in Philippines) is a cross between meringue and cookies, it is popular in the Philippines as a snack item and sold in every supermarket and sari sari stores, it is bite sized and easy to munch on you won’t even notice you finished a whole bag already. The reason why I called it the English name is that because it is not round in shape like the pacensia cookies, I don’t know to make them round by piping, I just piped them like a small meringue.
1/2 cup flour
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
4 egg whites
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp sugar
- Sift together confectioner’s sugar and flour then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat the egg whites in high speed using a hand mixer.
- Once egg whites are frothy add the lemon juice, vanilla extract, and sugar then continue to beat in high speed until it forms stiff peaks.
- Fold in the sifted flour and confectioner’s sugar to the egg white mixture, mix well.
- Add the mixture to the piping bag.
- Place a baking paper on a cookie pan then pipe down the mixture, each piece should 1 inch in diameter at the max. Spacing between each cookie should be at least 1 inch well.
- Bake in a 140C preheated oven for 30 minutes or until light golden brown in colour.