Who does not love the smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls? This was the smell that surrounded our lounge last weekend when I baked this all-time favourite. Cinnamon roll, cinnamon bun or cinnamon swirl is a sweet pastry that is made out of rolled sheet of yeast dough in a cinnamon, raisin and sugar mixture then topped with a sweet glaze. Other ingredients can be added to the mix like walnuts and chocolates like the different flavours in cinnamon shops like Cinnabon.
This wonderful pastry was believed to have originated from Sweden and it is called “kanelbulle” which directly translates to cinnamon bun. It’s so popular in Sweden they even have a day for its celebration, the “Kanelbullens Dag” which is held every 4th of October and this tradition have been running since 1999. It was started by Kaeth Gårdstedt, who is Hembakningsrådet’s project manager, an association of bread ingredients manufacturers in Sweden.
So if you do not have any Cinnabon from where you are, trust me this is the next best thing or might be even better. A quick and easy sweet, moist and soft cinnamon roll recipe.
4 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup margarine, melted
1 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water. Set aside.
- Mix together flour, sugar, and margarine, salt, eggs, milk and yeast mixture. Once evenly mixed knead the dough in a floured board. Form into a large ball then place in a bowl covered in cling wrap. Place in a warm place and let it rise for 1 hour or until it doubled in size.
- Remove dough from the bowl, deflate and roll into a floured surface until it reaches 24 x 16 inches in dimension. The thickness should be around 1/4 inch.
- Prepare the filling by mixing brown sugar and cinnamon together.
- Spread the softened margarine over the top of the flattened dough, sprinkle the cinnamon mixture and raisins.
- Now start rolling starting on the 24 inch side until the end then cut into 2 inch slices. Place in a greased pan and set it aside for 30 more minutes letting it slightly rise again.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a 200C pre-heated oven.
- Prepare the icing by mixing all of the ingredients using a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- When rolls are cooked, top it with icing and let it cool.