Pinoy Style Chicken Barbecue
Mmmmmm. Just the smell of it makes your day. Barbecue in the Philippines is a big deal, almost every street corner someone is selling that charcoal grilled goodies, from chicken, to pork and even offal such as chicken and pork intestines (isaw), liver, chicken heart, chicken head, chicken neck, chicken feet (adidas) even coagulated pork blood (betamax). But for the faint hearted we always have the ever trusted meat – The Chicken.
There are a lot of ways barbecuing Chicken but most of the Filipinos prefer it the sweet style like how the famous Aristocrats Chicken Barbecue is, good match with Atchara (a green papaya chutney) and Java Rice.
10 pcs chicken legs
1 cup tomato catsup (it’s called tomato sauce here in NZ)
1 can 7Up or Sprite
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 whole garlic, minced
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup water
- In a deep bowl, mix thoroughly 7 up, soy sauce, sugar, tomato catsup, garlic, lemon juice, freshly ground black pepper and oil.
- Add chicken and coat them evenly.
- Set aside and keep in a fridge covered for at least 24 hours.
- Separate liquid from the chicken.
- In a sauce pan, mix water and cornstarch, when there is no more lumps add the separated liquid.
- Cook the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Prepare your charcoal barbecue and when it is ready you can now place the chicken. When the charcoal side is already dry you can turn over the chicken and baste the top with the sauce. Repeat this process until chicken is cooked.