Vermicelli in Shrimp and Crab Sauce
I love pasta not just because they all taste really good but just the pasta alone is a very versatile ingredient, you can almost throw any sauce you want to it and it will still work. Like this dish, a very delicately flavoured pasta dish which is made out of crab meat and shrimp cream based sauce it can be prepared in minutes but has the wow factor like other intricately prepared dish.
This dish is one of my free style experiments where I just used any available ingredients to me at that time so I can’t tell you much about its history but for pasta I guess I can tell you some facts about that great Italian invention:
- There are more than 600 different pasta shapes
- Thomas Jefferson introduced macaroni in United States
- The word “pasta” came from the Latin word pasta which means “dough, pastry cake”.
- In Italy they are bound by a law where dry pasta (pasta secca) can only be made from durum wheat flour or durum wheat semolina.
- Pasta be known as an Italian invention but the Chinese had eaten pasta as early as 5,000 B.C.
- In Greek Mythology is it stated that Vulcan created a device that made strings of dough which makes the first spaghetti
- The average person in Italy eats more than 51 pounds of pasta yearly compared to the Americans 19.8 pounds.
How about you do you know some fun facts about this wonderful ingredient?
400g vermicelli pasta
300g white crab meat
300g shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 cups milk
1 cup cream
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
freshly ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
2 small shallots, finely chopped
- Cook pasta according to packaging direction then set aside.
- In a pan, add 25g of butter then sauté garlic and onions. Remove from pan then set aside.
- Add remaining butter then add flour, mix until it forms a roux. Add milk and cream then stir until thick in consistency.
- Add crabmeat, shrimps, parsley, nutmeg, cayenne and parmesan simmer until shrimps are cooked.
- Add pasta to the cream sauce then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.