Mamon for those who does not know is a very soft yellow sponge cake with a moist buttery top and grated cheese toppings, it’s one of the all time favourite baked goods in the Philippines, can be consumed freshly baked or straight from the fridge.
- Using and mixer beat together egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water at high speed.
- Once the yolk mixture is evenly combined add baking powder, salt, flour, melted butter, orange extract and lemon extract using low speed. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar then beat at high speed. Gradually add the remaining sugar a spoonful at a time and continue beating until stiff.
- Fold in the yolk and flour mixture into the egg white mixture.
- Place in muffin pans lined with muffin cups, pour until 3/4 full. Then bake on a preheated oven at 180C for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked generously brush mamon with melted butter on top this makes the top sticky when it sets, then add grated cheese.