Siopao Asado is a Filipino steamed bun prepared with a sweet white steamed dough filled with sweet soy sauce and garlic braised pulled pork.
- 3 cups dumpling flour + 1/2 cup for dusting
- 200ml warm water
- 1/2 cup + 2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp shortening or vegetable oil (use shortening to make it whiter in colour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 400g pork loin, cubed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/3 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 cup water
Water for Steaming
- water, for steaming
- 1 tbsp of vinegar per litre of water, for steaming
- On a pan add oil and sauté garlic then add pork, stir fry pork for 3 minutes.
- Add water, soy sauce, brown sugar and 5 spice powder. Bring to a boil and simmer in low heat for 2 hours or until the meat breaks apart, mixing occasionally to prevent burning, add additional water if needed.
- Once meat has broken down add hoisin sauce then thicken it with cornstarch mixture, simmer further until sauce thickens.
- Season with salt. Turn heat off then set aside.
- Mix together yeast, 2 tsp sugar, and 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Set aside in a warm location for 30 minutes.
- Mix remaining ingredients except for the baking powder then knead dough until dough surface smooth and texture is elastic; occasionally dust the board with dumpling flour. Place in a greased bowl then place in a warm location, set aside for 2 hours. After two hours the size would be doubled.
- Deflate dough then spread on floured board. Add the baking powder evenly then knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 8 – 10 pieces then roll them thin, place a good amount of the meat mixture in the middle then seal them on top, place buns in a greased paper. Do with the remaining dough and filling. Set aside in a warm location for 30 minutes.
- Prepare your steamer by pouring water and vinegar. Vinegar will make sure your buns are white.
- Place buns into steamer container then steam siopao for 20-25 minutes.