Chicken Enchiladas is a Mexican tortilla wrap dish filled with spiced chicken, kidney beans, avocadoes and tomatoes topped with melted cheese.
- 6 pcs corn tortillas or flour tortillas, large
- 700 g chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 large can red kidney beans, drained and washed with running water
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 large avocadoes, sliced
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 kg tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 200 g grated cheddar cheese
- 100 g mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup jalapeno peppers (optional), chopped
- sour cream
- freshly chopped cilantro
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a pan sauté garlic and onion in oil.
- Add chicken and brown all sides.
- Add red kidney beans, tomato paste, chicken stock, cayenne pepper, cumin, freshly ground black pepper and salt (according to yout liking) and cook for 3 minutes or until liquid dries out.
- Turn on the oven and preheat to 180C.
- Grease a 2 baking trays with the size 9-inch x 13-inch x 2-inch or similar, or you can individually bake them in oven proof plates
- Get a piece of corn tortilla and place chicken filling in the middle, then add 3 slices of avocadoes and sprinkle with jalapeno peppers. Wrap and place on the baking tray side by side and 3 on each tray. If using a plate place one on each.
- Spread a hefty amount of chopped tomatoes on top and sprinkle with lots of cheese
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until top turns golden brown.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes, top with sour cream and freshly chopped cilantro then serve.