Turon or Banana Lumpia is a Philippine snack that is made out of cardaba bananas and jackfruit wrapped in spring roll wrapper and deep fried.  A popular street food which you can see almost everywhere together with Camote Cue (Deep Fried Sweet Potatoes covered with caramelized brown sugar) and Banana Cue (Deep Fried Bananas covered with caramelized brown sugar) when 2PM hits the clock.

I am not quite sure of the history of turon but there is a similar name dish existing in Spain but the ingredients are totally different as their turon includes marzipan and sugar, this too is sold in the streets of Spain specially during the Christmas season, but apart from the name, the sugar and where it’s sold the similarity ends there.  Having that said I guess they might not be related to each other.

10 pieces of saba / cardaba bananas
1/2 cup jackfruit slices
15 pcs spring roll wrapper
brown sugar
vegetable oil

1. Cut a peeled banana lengthwise in 3 pieces.
  2. Roll the sliced bananas in brown sugar, and then set aside.
  3. Lay down the spring roll wrapper then place 1 slice of banana, 3 slices of jackfruit then another slice of banana on top.  Start rolling the wrapper until halfway, fold the left and right edges, continue rolling then secure it on the other end by damping it with water.
  4. Heat up a wok, place oil and when oil is hot enough deep fry turon until it turns golden brown.
  5. Remove from wok, remove excess oil then serve.

1. Yummy! There are similar snacks here in Mauritius – deep fried brinjals in a batter is extremely popular.
    🙂 Mandy

2. Delicious its look, for me, I love the goreng pisang at Malaysia.

3. peachkins says:

wow! favorite merienda ko yan!

4. Babygirl says:

This recipe really sounds simple but delicious. I think I will go searching for some jackfruit and try to make this 🙂

5. Meri says:

Whoa- this looks way too good! I want to make these for my family!

6. Oh, how I wish that was a typical street food here at two o’clock. But then I might weigh much, much more. This looks heavenly.

7. When I was first introduced to this delicious treat, it immediately became my #1 most favorite dish…scary to say, it even beat out chocolate *gasp!* I have never had it with jackfruit (never had jackfruit) but just thinking of the banana version is making me drool.

8. boogie. says:

My niece who’s 3 yrs old always asks my mom to make Turon every time she visits. she’s half Filipino & it’s so nice to see her enjoy my childhood fav

9. Love this esp. with langka strips! 😀

10. Wrapped up and fried banana?! Yes please! 🙂

11. cindy.D says:

Very strange and nice looking recipes. Good job.

12. huntfortheverybest says:

i love these! i haven’t thought about them in a while…thanks for reminding me!