Spanish Style Sardines is a different variant of cooking sardines where fish is pressure cooked in oil, other methods known is cooking in brine or tomato sauce.
- 2 pcs milkfish, sliced into 1.5 inch thick pieces
- 1 pc carrots, sliced
- 12 pcs pickled cocktail onions
- 2 large pcs pickled gherkins, sliced
- 4 pcs bay leaf
- freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 pc birds eye chillies
- Generously cover milkfish with salt and set aside for at least one hour.
- Rinse fish with running tap water.
- Place the cooking rack at the bottom of the pressure cooker (this prevents fish from sticking at the bottom), then place fish, chilli, bay leaf, carrots, cocktail onions and pickled gherkins. Pour white wine, fish sauce and olive oil. Make sure you fit everything nicely packed at the bottom and you have enough to cover the fish, otherwise add more white wine.
- Bring close to boiling point then lower the heat. Close the pressure cooker then cook for 45 minutes.