- Toss the papaya and 1/4 cup salt together in a large bowl, set aside for 1 hour.
- Thoroughly rinse the papaya in running tap water using a colander. Now place papaya in a muslin cloth and squeeze to drain further.
- Now in a bowl combine papaya, carrots, capsicum, ginger and raisins. Mix well.
- Now mix together vinegar, water, sugar and 1 tsp salt in a saucepan then bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes and do not stir.
- Place papaya mixture in containers then pour liquid into the mixture, cover the container tightly then store in the refrigerator. For best results consume the atchara only after 2 days of marinating.