Atchara (Pickled Green Papaya)
Atchara or Atsara is a very popular condiment or side dish in the Philippines, often served with meats that are either barbecued or fried. This is a good pair for those types of meats as it acts as a palate cleanser and should be taken in small amounts. This dish is done by pickling shredded green papaya together with other vegetables such as carrots, ginger, onion and capsicum in vinegar mixed with salt.
- Toss the papaya and ¼ cup salt together in a large bowl, set aside for 1 hour.
- Thoroughly rinse the papaya in running tap water using a colander. Now place papaya in a muslin cloth and squeeze to drain further.
- Now in a bowl combine papaya, carrots, capsicum, ginger and raisins. Mix well.
- Now mix together vinegar, water, sugar and 1 tsp salt in a saucepan then bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes and do not stir.
- Place papaya mixture in containers then pour liquid into the mixture, cover the container tightly then store in the refrigerator. For best results consume the atchara only after 2 days of marinating.