The recipe Ginataang Alimasag is a classic crab dish in the Philippines where we cook mud crabs in coconut milk together with squash and string beans. A creamy and flavourful dish enjoyed with rice. I know a lot of people are fuzzy eaters but the best way to enjoy this dish is also the classic Filipino way of using bare hands, yes we sometimes eat with hands like the Malaysians and Indonesians and it is really helpful for dishes like this as you will definitely use your hands.
- 5 pcs medium sized crabs or 10 pcs small sized crabs
- 1/2 small sized squash, cut into cubes
- 20 pcs string beans, cut into 2 inch pieces (optional)
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 small red onions, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 thinly sliced ginger
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- Steam crabs until cooked, remove the top shells and cut the body in half. Reserve any crab fat you can get from the top shell.
- In a wok add oil and sauté garlic, onions and ginger.
- Add the squash and string beans (if using), quickly stir fry.
- Add the coconut milk in the same wok and bring to a boil, once boiling add the vegetables and any reserved crab fat. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the crab bodies then simmer for 4 more minutes.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and fish sauce.